Thursday, November 3, 2011

(6) The Art Of Communication

 


This blog is somewhat of a continuation of yesterday's thought-but the weight of this topic compels me to write a little more on the idea of "thinking before we speak." 

Remember those heavy weight verses on the negative impact of our careless words that are found in the book of Proverbs "careless words stab like a sword," and "Do you see a person who speaks to quickly there is more hope for a foolish person than for them (prov.21:23; 29:20).

Have there been times in your life when you said, Uh-oh, I wish I hadn't said that. I wish I could take it back. But remember once the words are out you can't get them back. There is no delete button, no rewind button. Just remember the power of your words-and when used the wrong way how they can inflict insurmountable damage. Our words can wound, bruise, and damage a person for a life-time

Let me share a forceful story from Chuck Swindoll's devotional "Growing Strong In The Seasons Of Life:"

A young boy lived with his grandfather on the top of a mountain in the Swiss Alps. Often, just to hear the sound of his own voice echoing back to him he would go outside, cup his hands around his mouth, and shout, "HELLO...hello...hello..."Then he would call out, "I LOVE YOU... I LOVE YOU...I love you...I love you...I love you..."

One day the boy seriously misbehaved and his grandfather disciplined him severely. Reacting violently, the child shook his fist and screamed, "I HATE YOU!...To his surprise, the rocks and boulders across the mountainside responded in kind: I HATE YOU...I HATE YOU...I hate you...I hate you...I hate you..."


I don't mean to be a bummer but God's word tells us in Matthew 12:36 that we will give an account for every careless word ever uttered, now that is some weighty stuff.

Let's close on a more positive note,  Ephesians 4:29 tells us to speak words that encourage and build each other up-let's then work to speak words that build up and encourage our mates, friends, co-workers, and our children.

In our next post I will discuss the importance of being able to admit our own mistakes. Admitting our own mistakes goes a long way in creating trust and intimacy in our relationships with others, especially our spouses.


No comments:

Post a Comment

  How can a culture move so far from reality? A fascinating verse in the book of judges is found in chapter 21 verse 25  “ In those days Isr...