Tuesday, November 1, 2011

(4) The Art Of Communication


 Yesterday's post on the power of words just seemed to disappear, because of the importance of that post I 'll do it over, however, it will be a little different. 

Let me start with a few song lyrics that you are all familiar with to show how words can grab our attention and shape our feelings;
                                                                                                                                  
"Folsom Prison Blues"
I hear the train a comin'
It's rolling round the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when,
I'm stuck in Folsom prison, and time keeps draggin' on
But that train keeps a rollin' on down to San Antone..
When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son,
Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns.
But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die
When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry..http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/folsomprisonblues.html


"He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother"
The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/hollies/heaintheavyhesmybrother.html                                                                                                  
How about some famous movie tags:

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!"
(Clark Gable, Gone With the Wind (1939))

"Face it, girls, I'm older and I have more insurance."
Fried Green Tomatoes (1991)

"Well, Clarice, have the lambs stopped screaming?"
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)


Some famous quotes:

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) Politician. President of the United States.
“You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Jesus (Matthew 5:43-47 )

I'm sure all these great words stir up all kinds of feelings in each of us, but in so many different ways. So what was the point of all this, simply to show the power that words have. Words can either paint a beautiful picture or they can create a big mess.

Now let us look at what the Bible says about the power of words:

Careless words stab like a sword, but wise words bring healing (Prov. 12;18, NCV).

Do you see people who speak too quickly? There is more hope for a foolish person than for them (Prov. 29:20).

Now how many got hit pretty hard by this last verse, speaking too quickly; remember once words come out we can't get them back in. The Bible says soooo much about our words, and holds us accountable for our words, for our words really reveal what already is in our hearts.

Most of us think about our words that go out to others-but in our next post I'll share my thoughts about the importance of what we say to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  How can a culture move so far from reality? A fascinating verse in the book of judges is found in chapter 21 verse 25  “ In those days Isr...