The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple (Psalm 19:7).
As I read the Psalter this verse jumped out at me. I'll share a few thoughts on this verse that encouraged my heart and put a little spring in my step for the day.
1. Let me give you a few different words that can be used for "the law" of the LORD:
INSTRUCT - PRECEPT - TO PUT STRAIGHT - TO GUIDE
"This Hebrew word comes from a verb signifying to "TEACH."
2. Notice that God's instruction, His teachings, His guidance, His precepts are perfect, and not only are they perfect they convert the soul.
3. The effect of God's instruction (law) in our lives is that we are transformed from the inside out---The truth's of the Scriptures do not merely make us religious (observing a set of religious codes), no, the Scriptures change us from the inside, we become new creatures (11Cor. 5:17).
4. "The testimony of the LORD is sure" --- again God's testimonies (His Words to us) are true and we can rely on them.
5. What are the effects of God's testimonies?---they make wise those who are simple---remember God reveals his truth not to the wise of this world or to the mighty, but to the simple (1Cor.1:26-28).
6. SO, as I read this verse I was reminded how God took this fifteen-year-old teen who was going the wrong way (away from God), and put wisdom in his heart through the revelation of His Son Jesus Christ.