Wednesday, October 19, 2011

(1) An Old Familiar Book

Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan has been a great encouragement to me every time I have picked it up to read.

I would like to "think out loud" on different parts of the book that I find fascinating.

The book opens up with a thought provoking idea; Bunyan muses, "As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where there was a den, and laid me down in that place to sleep; and as I slept, I dreamed a dream.

Bunyan describes this world as a wilderness, sound familiar?  In Peter's First Epistle he addresses his readers as stangers and pilgrims (2:11).

My thoughts: yes we live here and now, yes God has given us all things richly to enjoy, but we truly are just passing through, I'm always struck with the fact that our lives are so transitory, James echoes this thought when he compares our lives to a vapor (or mist) that appears for just a very short time (4:14).

No comments:

Post a Comment

  How can a culture move so far from reality? A fascinating verse in the book of judges is found in chapter 21 verse 25  “ In those days Isr...