Monday, January 7, 2013

A man on his knees.


A few thoughts on a quote by Robert Murray M'Cheyne:


                      "A man is what he is on his knees before God, and nothing more."


The other night as I started to pray this quote came to mind. For me this quote has become a maxim for life.


Let me offer a few thoughts on the power of this quote:

I'll observe in the form of answering why "a man's character is what it is when he is on his knees."

1. When a man comes before his God, he comes naked and stripped of any pretenses that he might  otherwise hold onto when dealing with his fellow man-----

Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do Hebrews 4:13.                          

2. When a man comes before his God he knows that he is helpless, poor, and needy, he realizes that his strength comes from God----
... Hear, O LORD, and answer me, for I am poor and needy Psalm 86:1. and The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped Psalm 28:7.

3. When a man comes before his God he is acutely aware of his selfish heart and even his tendency to pray self centered prayers----Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus  Philippians 2:5.

4. When a man comes before his God he is pressed with the weight that the christian life is not about him, his ministry, his life, his comforts, his character, no, he realizes that he must die daily, so that his God would be magnified through his life----For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21.

5. When a man comes before his God, he leaves with a deeper sense of living in the humility of Christ----
...and to walk humbly with your God Micah 6:8.

Believers we will stumble and falter, but take hope you can always drop to your knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  How can a culture move so far from reality? A fascinating verse in the book of judges is found in chapter 21 verse 25  “ In those days Isr...